Bowls WA Multi Disability Championships Results
played at Kardinya Bowling Club The 18th and 19th of April saw the formalization of WA’s first Multi Disability State Lawn Bowls Championships.
The event, hosted at the Kardinya Bowling Club, saw 22 players with disabilities including eight in the physical category, 7 in the deaf category, 5 in the intellectual category and 2 in the Visually Impaired/Blind Bowlers category.
Playing a combination of Pairs and Singles on the Saturday and continuing to play Singles on Sunday the bowlers were challenged both physically and mentally playing upwards of 10 timed games over the weekend. All games were open to mixed gender.
A unique twist to the Pairs saw our two blind bowlers participate in both the intellectual and deaf categories to even out numbers and ensure that all bowlers had a chance to participate in the Pairs. Stating that this combination was unique would be an understatement; however, all of the bowlers enjoyed the mix & match and everything flowed smoothly!
1. In the Physical Pairs the composite team of Vincent Higgins from Karlgarin and Greg Powers from Guilderton WON with 9 points followed by the RUNNER UP’S composite team of Stephen Murray from Scarborough and Tyrone Angel from Rockingham with 6 points.
2. In the Deaf Pairs it was tight with the Cockburn team of David Ravlich and Peter Best WINNNING with 7 points and a margin of 14 while the composite team of Robert Scott from Nollamara and Trevor Heal from the Baldivis Lifestyle Centre were RUNNER UP’s also having 7 points but with a margin of 12.
3. The Intellectual category saw the Gosnells team of Joseph Maiolo and Joseph Lehane WINNING with 6 points while the composite team of Julie Srhoy from Spearwood and Jane Parsons, a blind bowler, from both the Peel Bowling & Social Club and a member of the Vision Impaired/Blind Bowlers of WA (VIBBWA) RUNNER UP with 3 points.
Bowls WA Multi Disability State Championships Pairs Results
1. In the Physical Singles Wayne Allsopp from Dowerin WON with 16 points while Steven Murray from Scarborough came RUNNER UP with 15 points and a 35 Margin, narrowly beating Frank Fletcher (Osborne Park) who had 15 points with a 25 margin.
2. The Deaf Singles saw David Ravlich and Harry Wong from Belmont fight for the title with David WINNING with 15 points followed closely by Harry as RUNNER UP with 13 points.
3. Congratulations to Joseph Lehane for his win in the Intellectual Pairs as well as WINNER of the Singles with 12 points to Robert Hughes from East Fremantle finishing RUNNER UP with 9 points.
4. While the Blind Singles consisted of two players going round robin, the final results saw Sharon Ferres from Visual Impaired & Blind Bowlers WA (VIBBWA) WINNING with 15 points and Jayne Parsons from both the Peel & VIBWWA clubs coming RUNNER UP.
Bowls WA Multi Disability State Championships Singles Results
Congratulations to all of our participants, volunteers, and supporters. This event was enjoyed by everyone who came into contact with it and both participants and the Kardinya Bowling Club are keen to see this event happen next year – hopefully bigger and better as the years go by!
Photo: Players and supporters applaud during the presentation ceremony at Kardinya