Contact Tracing returns for clubs

by Aaron Delaporte

The Premier Mark McGowan has today announced that Contact Tracing will be re-introduced to licenced venues (clubs) as of Saturday 5th December.

Information required to be recorded in the formal Contact Tracing register is:

  • Location (of the club);
  • Person’s name;
  • Person’s telephone number;
  • Date of attendance; and
  • Arrival time.

This information needs to be kept for a period of 28 days.

Alternatively, the State Government has from today released a free app, SafeWA, which will provide businesses with a digital COVID-19 contact register system, endorsed by the Department of Health.

You can get the app now on Android or iPhone at

SafeWA includes key features such as unique QR codes for venues which patrons can scan to register their attendance. Data will be encrypted at the point of capture, stored securely and only be accessible by authorised Department of Health contact tracing personnel, should COVID-19 contact tracing be necessary.

The app is being provided as a free, easy, contactless solution, but is not mandatory. Alternative formats for mandatory contact registers are available, including other electronic tools or a paper-based system as above, depending on what is suitable for the club.

Records are not required to be collected for children under 16 years.

Significant penalties will be imposed against:

  • Businesses (including clubs) who are not able to produce the Contact Tracing register upon request;
  • Individuals and businesses (including clubs) for using the contact details recorded in the register for purposes other than contact tracing; and
  • Individuals for providing false information.

Clubs also have the right to refuse access or entry to individuals who decline to provide their details in the register, whether that be members and their guests, spectators or corporate/barefoot customers.

Clubs should immediately consider how this process will be introduced.

Should a club have any queries, please contact the Bowls WA office or your Regional Bowls Manager.