Starting in 2011 the first Bowling Arm Interstate Challenge was played between Victoria and New South Wales. This expanded to a larger interstate tournament held in September 2013 with the addition of South Australia. The Championships were held yearly after this with the addition of Queensland as recently as 2016, Western Australia joining in 2017 as the “Sandgropers”, and Tasmania joining in 2018. The Challenge now has six states involved and is known as the National Bowling Arm Sides Championships.
Bowls Australia endorses the Arm Sides Championships by providing a “National Perpetual Trophy” for the winning state, the host state provides the event venue and Gold and Silver medals, while the states themselves concurrently play for interstate Shields during the Challenge. A State Representative Side consists of 15 players, plus three reserve, who form three teams of five. Format of play is Singles and Fours, Pairs and Triples, played concurrently. The Challenge itself is a mixed gender tournament with a minimum requirement of two female bowlers.
To be considered for selection to the Sandgroper State Side players need to:
- Be part of the initial Sandgroper Squad (Enter an Expression of Interest to Laurie Blurton, WA Sandgroper Coordinator)
- Attend as many practices as possible (new schedule provided each year)
- Participate in available Armed Events and State Championships
The 2020 Nationals were cancelled (for the first time) due to Covid-19 travel and isolation restrictions. As a result, the event is rescheduled to be played in WA (also a first) in 2021 at Warnbro Bowling Club from September 6 to 10.
Laurie Blurton continues in the position of Coordinator of the WA Bowling Arm “Sandgropers” and would like interested players to fill in an updated 2021 Expression of Interest.
The EOI form needs to be returned to Laurie at email@example.com. Laurie can also be contacted on 0427 097 935.
2020 INFORMATION FOR ARMED BOWLERS IN WA:
- Timeline of Events (updated July 2020)
- Mandurah Armed Open (completed)
- State Bowling Arm Championships (rescheduled Oct 5 & 6 @ Warnbro – PDF Entry + Online Entry)
- National Bowling Arm Side Championships, Warnbro Bowling Club, Sept 7 – 11 (POSTPONED TO 2021)
NATIONAL BOWLING ARM SIDE CHAMPIONSHIPS WRAP UP ARTICLES:
2017 National Arm Challenge Summary (Moama VIC)
2018 National Arm Challenge Summary (East Maitland NSW)
2019 National Arm Challenge Summary (Tranmere SA)
2020 National Arm Side Challenge (Warnbro WA) CANCELLED to COVID-19
2021 National Arm Challenge Summary (Warnbro WA)