Another Wilson grabs Open title
Nathan beat his idol in the the men’s single final last week, as Chris Cavanagh reports for the Moonee Valley Leader. Nathan Wilson grew up in Bendigo watching Brett Wilkie on his TV screen, in awe of his talent on the greens. Last Thursday night, Wilson, 20, defeated the former world number 2 in a great upset to take out the 2014 Australian Open men’s singles title. The younger brother of last year’s winner, Aaron, Wilson won the David and Goliath battle under lights at Darebin International Sports Centre. The Essendon Saturday pennant player overcame an 18 -13 deficit after 25 ends to triumph 21 -19 in a marathon match that spanned two-and-a-half hours. After reigning champion Aaron bowed out in the second round of this year’s tournament, Nathan said it was a special feeling to be able to follow in his brother’s footsteps and add another Wilson name to the list of Open champions. “It’s insane. It’s crazy,” he said. “To get on the list (of winners) is one thing, but to do it after my brother is just incredible.” Wilson, whose scalps at the Open also included Scottish world champion Graeme Archer, Adelaide Endurance star Scott Thulborn and dual NSW bowler of the year Ray Pearse, said Wilkie had been someone who he had looked up to. “Ever since I got into bowls watching ABC -TV back in the day, he used to be on it all the time.” he said. “It’s just incredible to play him, let alone have a win over him. I feel privileged.” In taking out the title, Wilson collected an oversized cheque written out for $18,000. But he said he did not have any plans on how to spend the money. “I’ll probably go to the casino tonight,” Wilson joked. “Nah, I’ll probably chuck it in the bank and try and do what I’ve been doing, save some money.” Meanwhile, in the women’s singles final, former Scottish national team bowler Anne Johns recorded a 21 -19 win over 2011 champion Lynsey Clarke.